Monday, June 27, 2011

Recycle Those Cans and Containers!

I would like to think that I'm green, and hubby and I do try to recycle as much as we possibly can one way or another. I do like to take items and give them a new purpose as much as possible. I realize that sometimes that's difficult to do, and one can only use so much of the items they bring into the house.
Still, I do try and do what I can. Here are a couple of examples.


The item on the left was originally a green bean can, and the one on the right was originally a Cheetos
container. To look at them now, you might not ever guess this without further inspection. If you want to create the above containers, it is very easy. First you need to clean the containers, and I usually run my aluminum cans through the dishwasher. The Cheetos can is not aluminum, so I just wiped it out thoroughly with a damp cloth. I used a red and silver paint pen on these cans to color the top and bottom rims. The small can was painted with the red pain pen, and the Cheetos can was painted with the silver one. I used white printer copy paper to cover the both cans to keep the original covering from showing through before covering with the strawberry drawer liner. Yep.....you read that right. lol It is stickly on the back side, but it is also very forgiving, so you can make any adjustments you need to make. First I measured each can from top to bottom along with the circumference of both cans. I then used those measurements to cut out the pieces that I needed. You can trim with an xacto knife for any adjustments. I then used some ribbon around the top and bottoms of the cans finishing off with a small bow. You can apply the ribbon with fabric glue, but I simple used my scrapbooking tape runner and glue dots for the bows. You can use these containers for whatever you want to, but both of these are displayed in my kitchen containing items I use every single day of the week.


The above container is also a Cheetos can. lol I needed a container to hold some of my dog's treats, and this was my item of choice. The steps for creating this can are pretty much like the steps I shared above with a few minor exceptions. For this cute doggie treat container, I used scrapbook paper. I chose this paper, because one of the doggie drawings looks just like my sweet dog. lol The paper was not quit wide enough to go completely around the can in the back, so I cut a strip of this same paper and secured it down with my scrapbook tape runner adhesive. The ribbon used is pretty explantory and was secured on the can in the same way. As you can see, I needed the lid to help keep Coco's treats fresh. I then made a cute label with more paper and self adhesive stickers and a couple of cute stickers. I hope you like these projects and will try it yourself.


Thanks for stopping by and visiting me. I really do appreciate it.

Happy scrappin and dollie playin!

xoxox
Chrissy


No comments:

Post a Comment